Spaghetti Squash With Garlic and Parmesan


In order to stay healthy, I've tried to avoid calorie heavy foods such as my favorite meal of spaghetti. I want to share this little secret with you of how to substitute that great taste with squash! Be aware that the texture of the spaghetti squash is rather crunchy instead of soft like a noodle. Feel free to experiment with different cooking times and spices. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash (carried by Albertsons)
Pam or Olive Oil
garlic powder (optional)
Italian spices blend (optional)
Spaghetti Sauce (any jar, I look for low calorie choices)
Parmesan cheese (I chose reduced fat)
butter (optional)


Recipe:
There are two different ways to go about cooking spaghetti squash. I will describe the first technique here since I took photo documentation of it, and describe the second technique at the very end. The first technique is to first take a large knife and slice long-way down the middle. This however takes a lot of effort...in fact I had to have my boyfriend put the knife halfway inside the squash and smash it down against the counter. Once the squash is cut, take a spoon and scoop out the seeds and connected strings (it looks like the inside of a pumpkin). Set the oven to 375.

Spray the inside of the hallowed squash with olive oil or Pam if you want to be on the healthier side (zero calories). Next, I sprinkled garlic powder over the squash. I filled up two baking dishes with about a 1/2 inch of water and placed the squash upside down (with the shell on the outside). I've read that if you put too much water the squash will become too mushy.

After about 45 minutes, check on the squash. It will be done when the water is usually gone or the shell has some give to it. Carefully (I used my pot holders), move the squash to a plate and flip over. Take a fork and slowly separate the edges of the squash into strands. You can work your way to the shell of the squash, or whenever the strands don't loosen right away.

One squash will usually make 2-3 bowls of "pasta". I take 2/3rds of this batch and place it into a plastic container and store it in the fridge (it lasts a long time). The other 1/3 I plop onto a plate, add italian spaces, more garlic powder, pasta sauce and Parmesan cheese. You may want to microwave this plate one more time to get the sauce warm. The last step is to simply sit back and enjoy! Look below the pictures to read about the second way to prepare the squash.









2nd Technique to cook/cut squash:
Set the oven to 375 and poke holes all over the squash (I used a narrow and sharp knife, or you can use a skewer). Place the squash inside a shallow baking pan and cook for  one hour.

When the squash is cool enough to handle, cut down the middle long-way. Next, scoop out the seeds and connected strings (looks like the inside of a pumpkin). I have to admit, this step was easier when I cut the squash before baking. Then take a fork and separate strands just like above.

No comments: