Banana, Walnut, and Apricot Jam Waffles



I’ve been on a low calorie diet since summer but I made waffles with my boyfriend one morning as a celebration for losing 10 pounds. I was also celebrating staying on my diet through Halloween…we don’t get trick or treaters here but I was really tempted to still buy a bag of reeces pieces and devour them! This recipe makes about 6 waffles (this might be off from what you get because I have a tiny little waffle machine). There are different ways to go about making this, but through some quick googling, I found that the best way it so mush up the bananas rather than cooking them into the waffle as slices. The walnut and jam is obviously optional (I just happened to have them in stock). Feel free to make your own combinations with syrup or almonds or other fresh fruit. Hope you find this as delicious as we did!

Ingredients:
1 and ¼ cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 bananas
Sausage (optional)
Apricot jam (optional)
Walnuts (optional)


Recipe:
To begin, slice the bananas and place into a bowl. Mash them up using a fork until it looks like baby food. In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon) and stir. Next, add the wet ingredients (milk and egg) and stir until there aren’t any clumps. Finally, add the bananas!

If making the sausage, now is the time to add to a separate pan and start to heat. Stir frequently.

Use a measuring cup to scoop out the dough onto the waffle machine. For some reason, my waffles were getting soggy so I cranked up the heat to the highest setting. Also once made, don’t stack the waffles, instead spread them out on a paper towel which seemed to help with my soggy problem. Add any combination of toppings such as maple or fruit syrup, jam, fresh fruit, walnuts, almonds, etc.! Serve immediately with some hot tea or a glass of milk. Enjoy! 







No comments: