Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas

This recipe is handed down to me through my cousin who stayed to live with us for a year or so. This is a quick and easy dinner or lunch recipe that only requires a few ingredients. It will serve 2-4 people depending on how hungry you are (my boyfriend came over to help make it and we ended up having left overs). 

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts (optional) OR you can use pre-cooked/shredded chicken
Tortillas (corn or flour)
shredded cheese (I used "mexican cheese" which is a 4 cheese blend)
canned enchilada sauce (I used the large family size can)
sour cream (optional)

Recipe:
Since I went grocery shopping the previous day, I had some raw chicken breast in my fridge that we decided to use, so the first step for us was to cook it. For my birthday, my parents gave me a huge spice rack that included McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning so we generously poured that over the chicken. Place some cooking oil in a pan and plop the chicken in, turning on both sides to cook. The chicken was taking a while so we decided to cut it up into little slices, which sped the process up a bit. Place the chicken on a plate and set aside.

Next, place the tortillas into a zip block bag (slightly opened) and heat up for 1 minute in the microwave to make them warm and easier to fold. Spray a casserole dish with Pam spray and pre-heat the over to 350. Now you are ready to assemble the enchiladas! Take the tortilla and fill it with lots of cheese and chicken (or just cheese if you want a vegetarian dish). Fold and place each into the casserole dish one at a time. Pour the whole can of sauce over the top and in between the enchiladas. Finish off your creation by sprinkling more cheese over the top (you can never have too much cheese)! 

Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. It is best served with sour cream! Enjoy the pictures! 

Fixes for next time: For some reason the middle enchiladas had mushy tortillas (maybe too much enchilada sauce or it didnt get enough heat while cooking?). I also might try to use mini tortillas instead of the big sized ones. Next time I also might also cook some Mexican rice on the side (or maybe even add it to the inside of each enchilada)!









No comments: